Personal. Caring.

What you should do if you have back pain after a car crash

Car accidents can happen in a blink of an eye. Unfortunately, even a simple bender fender may cause back injuries. In fact, neck and back injuries are some of the most common types of injuries people sustain in car crashes. 

You should take back injuries after a car accident seriously. This is important because if not properly treated, they may cause chronic pain and lead to disability. 

How to deal with chronic pain after a car crash

There are several things you need to do if you suffer from back pain after a car accident. The first thing you should do is to get examined by a doctor. Your physician will diagnose the cause of your back pain and create a treatment plan that will help relieve the pain. 

You can also take the following steps to help relieve your back pain:

  • Rest: Getting enough rest after a car crash is essential and can help relieve your back pain. Therefore, consider taking some time off work so you don’t have to be on your feet or remain seated at your desk all day.
  • Use ice and heat therapy: After the car accident, you can get ice packs and apply them to the injured area for a few minutes. This will help reduce swelling, bruising and back pain. You can also use heat to soothe muscles that may become tense as you try to manage your back pain.
  • Take pain medication: You can use pain relievers like ibuprofen to help reduce inflammation. However, if you have to take pain relievers for more than a week, talk with your physician. They may prescribe stronger medication after examining you. However, remember that you cannot drive while taking prescription-strength medication.

Living with chronic back pain after a crash can affect your productivity and disrupt your life. Therefore, if you have been involved in a car accident, it’s important that you seek medical attention. However, because medical bills associated with the treatment of back injuries can skyrocket, you can get help by filing a personal injury claim.  


FindLaw Network

How Can We Help?