There isn’t ever a good reason for a driver to have a few drinks and then get behind the wheel of a vehicle. The decision to drive drunk is one that can lead to a fatal crash, but finding another way home can save a life. For the people who share the road with drunk drivers, being able to spot them could mean that they can avoid having a crash with the driver.
The majority of drunk driving incidents occur overnight so you should pay extra attention during those hours. There’s also an uptick on the weekends so be sure to be vigilant then. The majority of these crashes, fully four out of five alcohol-related wrecks, are caused by men. And, the age group with the largest percentage of crashes (32%) is 21 to 24 years old.
Some of the signs that you should watch for include:
- Erratic driving, including unnecessarily slamming on the brakes
- Swerving or straddling the centerline
- Failing to obey traffic control signs or signals
- Driving without headlights from dusk to dawn
- Going way too fast or too slow for the conditions
- Making illegal turns or failing to use a turn signal
- Almost hitting objects on the side of the road
If you’re struck by a drunk driver, your priority is getting medical care for the injuries you suffer. You can opt to pursue a claim for compensation so that you aren’t left holding the financial liability for the crash. You only have a limited time to do this in Arizona so be sure you get the process started quickly.