Is there anything to be worried about from Creepy Clowns this Halloween?
In the last 2 months, "Creepy Clown" incidents have not only spread across the entire country, they have gone from merely creepy to life-threatening. It was surprising to think that clowns were walking the streets at night so long before Halloween, but when the incidents started cropping up in Arizona, it got a little too close for comfort. With Halloween coming up so soon I wanted to give some facts and tips for keeping your family safe this Halloween.
Creepy Clown Incidents in Arizona
In the last few weeks there have been:
- Clown sightings
- Anonymous social media threats to public schools
- Anonymous threats to the University of Arizona
- Death threats to the "Clown Lives Matter" peaceful march in Tucson, Arizona
- Attempted attacks
- 3 juvenile arrests
Because of these incidents, Target, and other stores have stopped selling clown costumes, Ronald McDonald has gone into hiding and Steven King (creator of the creepy clown story "IT") has started telling his fans to "cool the clown hysteria".
Several valley schools have seen drastic drops in student attendance, because of the threats being directed at some schools in the phoenix area.
A group of thirteen-year-olds were chased through Fountain Park in Fountain Hills a few nights ago by 3 adults (believed to be 2 men and a woman) in clown costumes wielding baseball bats, who jumped a fence to pursue the children.
Police have issued warnings to the community at large that threatening behavior from a person in a clown mask will bring Misdemeanor charges, Threatening actions, like those in Fountain Hills, will bring Felony charges and not knowing the law isn't an excuse for breaking it.
What you can do this Halloween
Canceling Halloween this year isn't necessary if you can follow some safety guidelines.
- Trick-or-Treat in safe, well-lit neighborhoods
- Carry a flashlight
- Don't let your kids, even teenagers, Trick-or-Treat alone
- Drive, if you must travel outside of your neighborhood
- Avoid dark, vacant places like alleys, rural roads, etc.
- Don't Dress like a "Creepy Clown"; this is Arizona and despite it being the 21st Century, it's still "Wild West" enough that your joke or legitimate threat might not go the way you had planned.
No one wants an incident to occur this Halloween, so plan ahead to stay safe and if the worst should happen, give me a call and I'll help you make everything right again.