The Law Office of Nathan C. Cooley, PLC
Call Nate Directly for a Free Consultation Cell: 480-295-7235

Child Support and Personal Injury Settlements

Who Has Access to Your Personal Injury Settlement After Your Divorce?

When two people get divorced, the custodial parent is often entitled to child support payments. The payment amount is typically determined based on the gross income of the payer. Gross income includes income from any source and may include wages, salaries, commissions, bonuses, dividends, severance pay, pensions, interest, trust income, annuities, capital gains, social security benefits, workers compensation benefits, unemployment insurance benefits, disability insurance benefits, recurring gifts, prizes, etc.

The State of Arizona, like most states, takes paying child support very seriously. The State can take measures to make sure child support is paid. For example, the State can withhold a person's tax refund or seize a person's assets and use these amounts to make up past due child support payments.

One way the State can go about making a person pay their child support is by placing a lien on their property for unpaid child support. The lien remains until the amount is satisfied in full and may carry over to new property. As discussed in a previous blog post, a lien is a legal interest or right to another person's current or future property, valid till the debt is satisfied.

Another option available to the State, and one you want to be aware of if you plan on receiving a personal injury settlement, is a Limited Income Withholding Order. See A.R.S. 25-505. When a Limited Income Withholding Order is properly issued, the State can take severance pay, sick pay, vacation pay, bonuses, insurance settlements, commissions, stock options, excess proceeds, retroactive disability proceeds, and personal injury awards, all for the purpose of paying past due child support.

The surest and safest way to avoid liens, including Income Withholding Orders, and other legal complexities associated with child support, is to be up to date and current on your payments. If you have been injured, but are not current on your child support payments, please give us a call for a FREE CONSULTATION.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Law Office of Nathan C. Cooley, PLC

1744 S Val Vista Drive, Suite 201
Mesa, AZ 85204

Phone: 480-295-7235
Fax: 480-240-1340
Mesa Law Office Map

Review Us